Estimated Length: 10 seat hours
The NCTI® Business Services for Technicians course teaches the broadband technician about the application of elements and principles that support installation and troubleshooting of business class services. This course covers business class services such as data, video and voice installation and troubleshooting. The Business Services for Technicians course is appropriate for all business class technicians working in the small, medium, or large business environment, offering fundamental as well as advanced topics.
The estimated completion time for this course is 10 hours. The maximum allotted time is four months from enrollment.
- receive credit toward NCTI Senior Master Technician certification
- receive an industry-recognized NCTI certificate of graduation
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the concepts of business class services, including how each type of service can differ in installation practices
- Describe preparation techniques and documents to prepare for a customer visit
- Identify components of a site survey, and equipment used to survey different types of buildings
- Explain how drops, bonding, grounding, and demarcation points work within a business installation
- Describe best practices when working with equipment commonly found in businesses and equipment room locations
- Identify processes, components, devices, and terminology of data networks in businesses
- Describe how types of data installations and installation techniques are used to make certain the business class services are properly working
- Describe the process for troubleshooting a business data installation, including creating problem statements and using troubleshooting tools
- Identify the characteristics of commercial video distribution methods and local content video insertion
- Examine the best equipment and installation methods to use for a seamless and efficient video service installation
- Describe best practices for verifying the installation is successful
- Identify the best approach when troubleshooting business class video service
- Examine best practices and processes for installing business class voice service
- Describe the process and appropriate steps to take when troubleshooting a business class voice service installation
- Explain the methods used to improve signal strength in a commercial environment
- Explain the features of SMB and enterprise hardware and software in a commercial environment
Introducing Business Class Services
Explores the components of business class services beginning with an explanation of the key concepts of business class services, including working with customers to provide problem support and excellent service.
Business Class Data
Explores the major differences between business class data installations and residential installations, including the unique equipment and tools available for use, how to route cables and verify services, and how to utilize troubleshooting techniques as well as collaboration to solve customer issues.
Business Class Video
Describes the methods of commercial video distribution and insertion, the different components of performing the installation from completing a thorough site survey, using the proper equipment, ensuring there is a sound configuration, and verifying the installation prior to handing off the project to the customer.
Business Class Voice
Examines the legacy telephone systems, alternative telephone technologies equipment and cabling that makes it all work. Since business class voice service installation can become quite complex, the lesson describes the components and processes involved in the installation
Installation of Commerical Wi-Fi
Working with multiple access points, considering signal strength in a commercial environment, introducing enterprise Wi-Fi security, identifying SMB and enterprise hardware and software.