Estimated Length: 16 seat hours
The Troubleshooting Advanced Services course builds on the knowledge acquired in the Broadband Digital Installer course and complements it with a focus on troubleshooting. The three main service areas of a cable operator are covered in the Troubleshooting Advanced Services course: digital video, data/Wi-Fi and voice. The course is geared to troubleshoot at the customer premises and teaches real world processes that the student can use in a real work environment. Scenarios are presented for addressing specific issues of triple-play services at the premises, as well as the philosophy, mindset and attitude of a successful troubleshooter that can be applied to any circumstance.
The estimated completion time for this course is 16 hours. The maximum allotted time is four months from enrollment.
- use this course to help prepare for SCTE’s Broadband Premises Installer, Broadband Premises Technician and Broadband Telecom Center Specialist certifications
- receive credit toward NCTI Master Technician certification
- receive an industry-recognized NCTI certificate of graduation
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- explain the mindset and most effective techniques to troubleshoot digital television service.
- explain how the set-top box is used to deliver digital television service and identify some common service problems related to set-top boxes.
- identify the primary quality benchmarks of a quadrature amplitude modulation channel and digital television service.
- identify the various artifacts that can be seen in the video of a digital television channel and recognize the likely source of the artifacts.
- explain how to approach troubleshooting Internet protocol television.
- describe some of the issues that can occur with the high-definition multimedia interface.
- identify the measurements that quantify the quality of a digital modulation channel.
- identify test instruments for measuring digital modulation channel parameters.
- diagnose digital modulation measurements that indicate issues.
- explain the features of the DOCSIS architecture and how it affects data transmission.
- discuss the primary features of DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1.
- describe the methods of troubleshooting in the customer premises.
- describe what steps are taken when improving poor signal strength.
- identify the primary types of interference that affects Wi-Fi signal.
- describe the types of non-Wi-Fi interference and troubleshooting solutions.
- explain Wi-Fi devices speed processing capabilities.
- identify the common telephone wiring defects that can occur and how to safely troubleshoot them.
- identify the features and characteristics of twisted-pair wiring.
- describe the techniques used to troubleshoot twisted-pair wiring problems.
- describe the use of twisted-pair IW test equipment and common procedures for troubleshooting IW problems.
- describe the use of a tone generator and inductive amplifier probe to troubleshoot wiring problems.
- describing the use of a twisted-pair cable tester and procedures for troubleshooting wiring problems.
Troubleshooting Digital Television Service
Assessing the digital television troubleshooting process, troubleshooting the set-top box and assessing the quadrature amplitude modulation channel
Troubleshooting the Digital Video Experience
Assessing digital television, addressing internet protocol television and assessing customer premises equipment interface problems
Quantifying Digital Channel Quality
Defining digital measurements, considering digital modulation test instruments and interpreting digital modulation measurements
Troubleshooting High-Speed Data Service
Delivering high-speed data service, detailing the evolution of docsis and resolving problems in the customer premises
Troubleshooting Wi-Fi signal strength, examining Wi-Fi interference, examining non Wi-Fi interference and examining client device capabilities
Troubleshooting Telephone Wiring and Twisted-Pair Cable
Identifying telephone wiring problems, describing twisted-pair wiring problems and troubleshooting twisted-pair wiring
Using Twisted-Pair Inside Wiring Test Equipment
Using telephone test sets, using a tone generator and inductive amplifier probe, using a twisted-pair cable tester
Troubleshooting IP Voice
Understanding how to troubleshoot IP Voice service, examining the embedded multimedia terminal adapter and diagnosing IP Voice service problems